Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Holiday Season is coming quickly


Hello all and welcome back its always nice to see an old friend.
We are just a couple of weeks away from Halloween. You go to any store and they have all kinds of decoration's and costumes for sale and they have brought out a few of the Christmas items to get people buying ahead of time. I don't know about you but I'm not really into the spirit of celebrating Halloween. I guess we never had a lot of money growing up and we didn't have party's. My mom always made our costumes so we never had anything fancy. (I remember going out with nothing more fancy then a pillow case for a candy bag and we went to as many house as we could...and parents didn't have to go with us....wow how times have changes )I know some people just find it the greatest time to have a party. I guess it gives them a chance to dress up in something wild and crazy and every one thinks it a blast. Not that I don't enjoy a great party like everyone else...
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. One year our turkey was deep fat fried...I dear say...my older daughter said it look like it flew to close to the sun!! We all had a good laugh on that one.
When I was growing up...We always had one of those fake trees..My mom would pull it out of a box and try to fit the right branches into the pole to create a tree...Man that was always a terrible time in house...it took so long and mom's mood grew very tense.
but once it got up...it was wonderful. One of the things mom always did...and I really don't know why I think it had something to do with my Grandfather...She put a bowl of nuts and tangerines under the tree....it was always appreciated more after the Christmas present were gone and the tree is still up.....I would sit under the tree and crack the nuts and watch the lights...
I didn't go out to cut my first tree down until I was 18 years old...it was so wonderful the adventure and feeling of the soft tree while you decorated it. The smell of a fresh tree is something you just can't get out of a fake tree. My grandmother would always have a little table top fake tree....She didn't have a lot of money so she would always give all her 6 grand kids a tooth brush and bar of Ivory soap..and since she crochet she would make us slippers and vest...and in her later years...some wonderful afghans...I have two of her's still being used today.
As odd as it sounds...it was the only time I got a new tooth brush was at Christmas.

Mean while back @ the farm

No comments: